Tuesday, January 26, 2010

How to arrive too early for a 5am workout???

So I have been trying to get back into shape and start preparing to enter some road races and triathlons. You have read that I am back in the pool now and running again. Well, with being a teacher comes being on your feet all day and interacting with the future leaders of America, HA! Which leads to being tired when the final bell rings to end the school day(not to mention that it gets dark at 5:30, which makes me sleepy). So, I've been trying to determine the best time to work out.

In general I like to get workouts done 1st thing in the morning. This now creates a BIG problem for me because I have to be at work by 6:45 am. So, to work out before school would mean getting up long before the butt-crack of dawn, which means I would have to go to bed before my prime time shows even start.

Basically, I would be living on the schedule of some retirees in Boca, Oy!

Nevertheless(I have never used that word in a blog before)I thought it wise to get up at 4:40 this morning to get to the Y when it opens at 5 to swim some laps, I even went to bed at 9 last night, though I didn't fall asleep until 10ish.

The alarm went off, I debated whether to rise or snooze. Eventually to rise won. And so I did. I quickly packed my bag and off I went. I figured I had plenty of time. Swim from 5:10 till 5:45 or so, grab a shower, use the mousse that Kelley left at my house to style my hair, smack some old naked guy on the but with a towel in the locker room and be out the door by 6:15. And all was going well until I arrived at the Y at 5:10 only to fins that they don't open the place until 5:30. CRAP!!!

I quickly considered my options:
a) Lay the seat back and sleep in the jeep until 6:15, then go inside to change my clothes and head to work.
b)Wait around till 5:30 and swim till 6
c)call in sick and take the day off
d) head to the nearest waffle house

For some reason I took option b, swim from 5:30 till 6.
As it turns out, I think i will be able to get in a decent swim from 5:30-6:10 and still have enough time to get showered, dressed and to work on time. In fact, the bright side is that I wont have to roll out of bed until 5:10, which buys me 30 extra minutes of sleep. the down side is I wont have time for towel popping.

Sacrifices eh?

1 comment:

  1. towel popping is awesome! make time for that and your workout will be complete.

    ReplyDelete