Monday, January 11, 2010

Getting back to it

Well its been 11 months since my marathon and 9 months since my triathlon. Since then it is safe to say I haven't done much to maintain y level of fitness. Today I am actually at the heaviest weight I have ever been(218-220) and the pants waist are getting tight again. Actually, they aren't getting tight, the ARE tight.

After my recent conquests I decided to take a little time off. Well, a little turned into a lot as things kept "popping up" to keep me from working out. 1st I blamed the heat of summer. Then I blamed my new job for taking up a lot of time and new stress. lately I've been wanting to blame the holidays and the fact that it gets dark earlier now. I am realizing that there will always be something to blame but the blame rests on me. If I really want to get back in shape and achieve future goals its my responsibility to make it happen. So I AM taking responsibility and I am getting back to it.

One of my favorite sayings is "if it was easy everyone would be doing it". I like setting myself apart and doing things that NOT everyone else has or can do. That's why I run, bike and swim. Not to say I'm better, because I'm not, But to say I am a better me.

School was closed Friday due to winter weather(in Baton Rouge? who woulda thunk it?). As the call came in Thursday I immediately had the thought that this is the perfect time to get started. I went to the gym(YMCA) on Friday and hit the stationary bike and treadmill for a while just to see what my fitness level is. Well, it ain't so hot. I quickly realized that I am starting over from square one. This time, however, I have experience on my side. I know what works well for me and how my body responds to different types of training and types of diets(and by diets I mean healthy eating plans, not "hot fads"). So Friday, though sad because I have digressed so much, was a good day because i simply got started and every Marathon starts with one step.

Saturday I crossed the river for a treadmill workout with my brother(yes mom, we do stuff together) and Sunday I hit the weight room for a light full body workout which again reminded me how out of shape I am. Indeed, I am quite sore from the weight training yesterday but it is a good sore because it is a constant reminder that I am making progress.

And that's what its all about, progress. I'm not trying to compare myself to anyone, just trying to be the person I envision myself to be. It doesn't happen overnight, but it starts with one walk around the block, one trip to the gym, one hike in the woods with the family.

I have set some goals for the next few weeks, months and next year and a half. I will tell you about those soon. But today I'm just happy to be making progress, I'm back on the roads and in the pool.

Basically, I'm getting back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment