Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Happy Sadie de Mayo!





4 years ago today I was going shopping, to find a few new shirts as I recall. As I was walking up to the Slidell Ross, I noticed that the PetsMart next door was having a pet adoption day. So, I walked over just to look. I was living in a FEMA trailer at the time and had no intention of bringing home a pet that day. Then I saw the little yellow dog with the bowed legs. $90 later the Pearl River county SPCA said that I could take her home. The vet at petsmart said she had rickets and that proper nutrition and exercise should fix her legs. So, home we went to the FEMA trailer. I read the dog training book, especially the part about house training. For the next 2 weeks i took her outside every 2-3 hours(even in the middle of the night). She only wizzed in the trailer twice, and never number 2'd. She learned how to go up and down stairs and how to sit in no time. and she never slept on the bed, and never whined about it.


It is easily the best 90 bucks I have ever spent.


Today Sadie and I have been together 4 years, it seems like it was just yesterday, and it seems like we've always been together. 4 great years. She sleeps on my bed most of the time, but doesn't whine when I tell her to get on her dog bed. And her legs are fine, strong and healthy.


2 years ago we added Lily to the pack, they are best friends. I have learned alot from these 2, especially from Sadie. Sounds funny to say that you can learn stuff from a dog. But, let me share with you the biggest lesson I have learned from her.


Pure Joy! everyday when I come home from work I open the door and there she is, tail wagging, full of excitement, licker ready to go full speed. How nice is it to know that someone loves you that much? it is the best feeling in the world. How much nicer would it be for the person you love if you showed them that same amount of love and excitement to see them? After all, you see Sadie as just a dog, would you not appreciate that excitement even more if it came from a human, particularly the one you love? I think so.


As for me, I get great joy from that wagging tail!


Happy Sadie de Mayo to all of you and especially to Sadie. "Oh my goodnes, oh Beatrice, that's a good girl!"

No comments:

Post a Comment