Friday, April 23, 2010

Landmarks pt.1

I think from time to time about places I have been and places I have lived and certain images stick out from each of those places.


I spent about 9 years of my life in Tuscaloosa, AL. and I love that town. Iam so proud to be a child of New Orleans and am so proud of that heritage but a big piece of my heart will always be on the banks of the Black Warrior River.



One image that pops into my mind when I think of Tuscaloosa is the Moon Winx Inn. Located in the "Alberta City" aka "the ABC" section of town it was once one of the nicest places to stay in town as it was on the main highway through town before the interstate was built. These days it is often the butt of pay by the hour jokes(no, i don't know if you can actually pay by the hour). But the sign is true Tuscaloosa landmark. At night the sign is lit in neon and animated as the neon at the eye switches back and forth to make it appear the the moon is winking.

and the restaurant no longer exists.

One thing I never understood is why you would need an air conditioned telephone. HMMM?



1 comment:

  1. Excellent observation! I personally think they should make air conditioned telephones - sometimes when you talk a long time it gets hot. Perhaps they were ahead of their time!

    ReplyDelete