Friday, March 19, 2010

Thoughts on St. Patrick's Day



I read a lot of blogs and check my FaceBook account once a day. And so, In the past week I have seen and read a bunch of stories and seen a lot of pictures that are related to St. Patrick's day. Many of the pictures are quite humorous, like a coworker of mine who paint his entire body green and went to the local parade as the Incredible Hulk. Lot's of people, lots of parades, lots of green, but mostly, lots of beer, scantily clad women, and lots of sexual overtures masked in Irish national pride(the many of those involved are in fact, not Irish).

And it all got me to thinking, What would St. Patrick think about the way people celebrate his day?

Here's a brief background on St. Pat, thanks to our friend "the wicker pedier".

1. lived sometime between 330 and 430 AD. In Romanized Britain( thus he was British, not Irish).
2. was captured at age 16 in Britain and brought to Ireland as a slave. lived as a slave for 6 years.
3. escaped slavery and made his way back home to his family.
4. entered the church(catholic) and apparently rose up through the ranks.
5. Returned to Ireland as an ordained bishop
6. was an active missionary who refused to accept gifts from Irish royal families to prevent possibility of corruption and forced loyalty.
7. Focused on baptism of converts and bringing the wealthy into the church, even convincing many daughters from wealthy families to become nuns, which apparently wasn't an easy task back in the day because these women could be married off to other families to improve family status and connection.
8. Ordained Priests across Ireland

Now, from what I can see, it seems that Patrick is certainly worthy of recognition and his own day in the Catholic calendar. But, I don't think he is properly celebrated.

For starters, this guy was very intent on converting and baptism. He wanted people to be in the church. IN the church. But, how many people actually go to church on St. Patrick's day. I have no objection to a party, but if you want to honor someone make it an appropriate honor. Perhaps an AM trip to the local church, a few minutes of prayer and thanksgiving, something along those lines would be a nice thing to do.

Many non-catholics celebrate the day as well. For most, it seems to be a celebration of Irish pride. I am not Irish, as best as i know, and I am not Catholic, though most of my family is. And I do not celebrate st. Patrick's day. But If i were Irish, I don't think I would be too pleased with the way the day is celebrated from a nationalistic perspective. Say the words "St. Patrick's day" and see what the 1st thing the people around you say first. Green Beer, Irish car bomb, etc.

It just seems to me that if all I knew about the Irish was what I see in this day, I would assume that the Irish are all lazy drunkards, promiscuous, and lacking in common and public decency.

Of course that is not true.

And that is why i think people should at least consider what it is they are celebrating before they celebrate. Take a few minutes to remember who are what it is you are celebrating. do something appropriate to the day. St. Patrick was a missionary, maybe spread the word to at least one person. Irish persons have overcome a lot of adversity in their history, maybe read about or reenact a scene from there history. show pride in what you are celebrating, but be sure you know what it is you are celebrating.

I'm not making any judgements for or against anything, I'm just saying.

If you just need a reason to have a party and act silly and crazy, come to Mardi Gras(shameless plug to boost my local economy). But, on days like St. Patty's, I'm just saying, take a minute to pay an honest, sincere, and appropriate tribute before putting on your "Kiss Me, I'm Sh1t Faced" T-shirt.


And don't even get me started on Valentines Day!

1 comment: