Thursday, October 7, 2010

When I Look in the Mirror

when I loof in the mirror, I sometimes see
a 10 year old boy looking back at me.
boundless enrgy, full of hopes and dreams
naive to the world and it's harmful schemes.
He's ready to run and jump and experince it all
with never a thought of a crushing fall.
Does he know me and from where I've come
Would he be happy with who hes become?

when I look in the mirror, I sometimes see
a man of 20 grinning back at me.
He has a look in his eye that the worlds in his hand
he can do it much better than anyone can.
There's a pep in his step, and love in his heart,
He sees oppurtunity before him and he's ready to start.
I see his confidence and desire, his wit and his charm
does he see the hurdles before him that threaten him harm?

When I look in the mirror, I often see
a man whose turned 30 looking for me.
He's working so hard, to fix mistakes of his past
he knows his times coming and its coming fast.
he's working for the future, to be secure in his home
he's learning that to do it right he must do it alone
His charm and his wit are taking a beating
he's learning there's no future, only failure in retreating.

When I looked in the mirror this morning I saw
all 3 of those people, and yet I saw more.
I saw all of the people who have helped and have harmed
I saw the pain that built strength and the need to press on.

When I look in the mirror, once I did see
A man about 40, hiding from me
he was dressed in my clothes, a stranger I'd say
he looked like his best friend had been taken away
I wanted to speak, but no words were found
he looked like he wanted, but could not hear a sound
Could he have know the words never spoken?
was his heart full of joy, or had it been broken?

When I look in the mirror, I plainly see
I kind grey haired gentlemen, laughing at me.
He looks like my father, and a bit like my mom
and like the pictures of grandpa with his fire suit on.
why he is laughing its hard to tell
has his life been a pleasure or has he suffered through hell?
Is he laughing with joy because there is nothing to fear
or that he knows that I'll keep fighting year after year?

When I look in the mirror, I want to say
I don't know the future but I wont go away
I have enjoyed great pleasure, and endured great loss
both sides have come at highly paid cost
Sometimes I will fail but I will not give in
Sometimes i'll be the savior and sometimes I'll sin
through all of my future, as has been in my past
I will fight till I finish, be it in first place or last.

1 comment: