Monday, February 22, 2010

Insert "Friends" theme song here

In recent weeks I have been in the early stages of training for an Olympic distance triathlon. Things have been progressing well. i am now starting the 4th week of 17 in training. Although I haven't noticed it myself I have gotten at least one comment that I look like i have lost some weight. in a separate incident, my Mother asked me if I was eating well while at breakfast this past weekend. I don't know if I was looking thinner or that I am single most of the time(you know what i mean, kelley). At any rate, I think i have lost a couple pounds. But, I still have a long way to go. Lbs don't matter to me, but they way i feel does. I feel a million times better after a couple weeks of exercise, but have a long way to go to finish the tri the way i really want to.

One problem I have encountered is with the bike. It seems that cycling and I are not best friends. I love running and have found that I love swimming just as much, maybe even more. But the bike and I remain arch enemies. Then the old saying crossed my mind, "keep your friends close and your enemies closer". I realized that the only way to become friends with someone(or something is to spend time together and really get to know one another. The bike has never done me wrong. Never broke my heart or stole my girlfriend. never left me stranded or drank the last of the milk and put the empty carton back in the fridge.

In fact, the bike has always been there for me. it got me to elementary school. Got me to the convenient store in Jr. High to play Gauntlet. In college it got me to school when my car broke down. The bike has been a dear, reliable old friend that I have dismissed. I am sorry old friend, please forgive me. In an attempt to repair our fractured relationship I even went out and bought a bike trainer so that I can ride my bike indoors and protect her from the dirt and grime from the city streets and we can ride in temperature controlled comfort and laugh the hours away as we watch reruns of the Rockford files, Hawaii five-0, and karate flicks.

Sadie inspecting the new setup, approval granted


I plan to focus a little more on the bike as we renew our relationship, and hopefully, with the assistance of my new friend, Mr. Padded shorts, we can ride of into the sunset and live Ironmanly ever after.


Weekly workout totals
Running- 6.2 Mi (1:16:21)
Cycling- 33.8 mi (2:15:00)
Swimming- 1.8 mi (1: 30:00)

No comments:

Post a Comment