Wednesday, November 18, 2009

"well we're going to a garden party"


I've never really understood exactly what a garden party is, but the Beatles sure seemed happy to be going to one. And so, today is my birthday. The anniversary of the day I was brought forth into this world. The day my parents were blessed with there second sweet bundle of joy. The day that my brother would come to view as the darkest day in history(just kidding).

I turn 35 today. I don't feel old, and I don't think 35 is old. But, one thought that has occurred to me is that I am now just as close to 50 as I am to 20. But, I subscribe to the belief that you are only as old as you feel. In that case I am about 16 in mind and 30 in body. Part of that has to do with being 35 and dating a girl that's 27. That's right, who's the man? I'm the man!!!

So what will i be doing to celebrate my birthday? (Did I mention she is 27? )
Well, I gotta work so I can pay the bills. But after that I'm gonna go home and run 3 miles. Go out to dinner with one of my oldest and dearest friends and his Lady-friend, Head back to the house, talk to Kelley for a little while, Play with Sadie and Lily for while, Relax on the big comfy bed, and call it a night. Pretty exciting huh?

Many people like to make a big hoopla out of their birthday, I just like to relax and enjoy a stress free, relaxing day. And I am genuinely touched when people wish me a happy birthday without being reminded its my birthday. The teacher across the hall brought me a cake(which I will share with my other teaching neighbors), that made me feel good. The teacher next to her made a point to come in and say happy birthday, that makes me feel good. It makes me feel like I am special.

My birthday wish this year is to get moving again. It's been a long year with lots of ups and downs. And I must say I have learned a lot in the last 12 months. My hope is that I can use what I have learned to build a brighter future. My hope is that I can use what I have learned to be a better teacher, friend, person. My hope is that I will start running today. Running for my health and for my future. My hope is that I will look back on the last 35 years and say,"atta-boy Scott" and realize I've done a lot of good and that I have set myself up for a great next 35 years. I really think the fun is just beginning. I can't wait to see what happens next............

But i also have a birthday wish for you. Do something you really want to do today or whatever day you read this blog. Do something you want that is fun or maybe even a little silly. If someone looks at you weird or says something to you just tell them you are celebrating Scott's birthday. If you do that it would truly be the best present you could give me. Happy Scott's Birthday to you.


to clarify, the post title comes from the lyrics of the Beatles song "Birthday", from the white album

4 comments:

  1. i ran 5 miles tonight for your birthday! Happy Birtyfat! (that is birthday typed in the dark)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, thank you for making my birtyfat wish come true. I did 2.5 yesterday. I'm hoping to catch up to you, in terms of distance, by mid december.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping to catch "down" to you in weight... I think... 12/5 is the Baton Rouge beach half marathon that I am shooting for. 13.1 will be my new favorite number!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know that i would be able to do the whole thing, but if you need a rabbit to,pace you through part of it then let me know.

    ReplyDelete