Tuesday, February 15, 2011

You Gotta See it to Believe it!!!: make it happen part 2

Wow, I must really be getting fancy if my blog post are turning into multi part mini-series.  Perhaps I just have too much free time.

I am really proud of the fact that I have run a marathon, moreso because I did all the training required to finish than actually finishing it self. Currently I am training for a Half IronMan Triathlon on April 17th in New Orleans. As I think about it, as I often do, I think about how much training and preparation it takes to be able to finish that race, live that dream, and achieve that goal. 4 days a week it means 2 workout per day. 2 days a week it calls for a long run or long bike ride. there is only one day off from training each week. and that's on an 18 week plan. So, as you can see. many hours of preparation are involved.

The training isn't easy, but there are things that make it easer, or should i say, less-difficult.

Visualization.

When working out, especially when running,which seems to have become the most difficult of the 3 sports for me, I visualize about running the actual race. I visualize being passed by faster runners, then i real them in and pass them. I visualize family and friends on side the course cheering me on, and wanting to make them proud I push harder. But, most of all, I visualize the finish line. I clearly see the line, the ribbon, the cameras, and I see myself crossing that line and seeing all the hardwork and effort I have put in paying off. I see myself exhausted but smiling, worn down but strong as ever. I see myself looking back over the months of preparation and relishing in the joy of the accomplishment.

Sometimes, i even see sadie and lily coming out of the crowd to run the last mile with me(yes, I love my dogs).Visualization actually makes the workouts more fun. There is nothing like chasing down the leader and passing them just yards from the finish, or breaking their spirit by passing them a mile from the finish and pushing the pace, pulling farther and farther away with each footstep.

But my point to you is this: Visualize where you want to be.

See yourself there, and figure out what steps you have to take to get there.

If you can see it, you will believe it, and only you can make your dreams come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment