Monday, December 14, 2009

Bison Burgers? Hells Yeah!

I've been eating out a lot lately. So, I decided to cook at home tonight. At work today some of my peeps got into a discussion about cooking stuff other than beef and chicken, more colrful things, you might say. Things like rabbit, turtle, alligator, Raccoon, buffalo. Of the previous list I have never cooked any but have eaten several. So, it was on my mind to try something different. i also wanted to use my cast iron skillet, which has been sitting dormant for a while.

So, I stopped by the local whole foods and picked up a few things.


Bison Patties to make Bison Burgers, thick cut applewood smoked bacon, Smoked Gouda Cheese, Sweet Onion, Baby Bella Mushrooms, Tomato, oh, and buns. All total it came out to about $25 bucks. Even more expensive than if I had gone out to eat.


From watching too much food network I decided that I should do all of my prep work first. Here's the prepped maters, shrooms, and unjuns. And they are all in nice matching bowls. Maybe I could have my own cooking show, if only I had a catchy name. Any suggestions


Did i mention the thick cut applewood smoked bacon? OMG, this could have been a meal by itself. I absolutely love this stuff, and so did Sadie and Lily. My sous chefs.


My years of eating hamburger steak at city cafe in Northport, AL inspired me to add sauteed onions and mushrooms. But to "kick it up", I sauteed the juns and shrooms in the pork fat from the bacon. DEEEELICCCCIOUSSSSS!!!


And finally it was all put together. I added i side of "butter beans" or to you non-southerners, Lima Beans. I added a little butter and a bit of the leftover grease from bacon. And yes, I do love me some Lima Beans. After adding the freshly sliced tomato and smoked gouda cheese and fixin' a tall glass of sweet tea it was time to dig in, and I did. This was definitely one of the best meals I have ever cooked.

But in all honesty, I did slightly overcook the burgers, and next time i will try a different cheese. But even the way it was it was absolutely delicious. The best part, LEFTOVERS!!!!

And now, i'm gonna put on some stretchy waist pants and watch Monday Night Football.
Tonight is a good night at the man cave.

2 comments:

  1. Bison Burgers are good for you! lean and mean running machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just checked your blog out since you left a message on mine. :-) food looks good. where are you from?

    ReplyDelete