Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Head for the hills....

......unless you live in south Louisiana. You see, we ain't got no hills. This has its benefits, but at times like these it also has some drawbacks.

Drawback #1- The Mississippi River is a very large river. From time to time it likes to explore the area outside of its banks. I assume it's a tribute(ary) to Lewis and Clark or Hernando DeSoto. Either way, it likes to leave its mark on things. That mark being lots and lots of water. As i am sure that we have all heard about the river, levees, spillways and communities being flooded ,I will skip ahead..

...skipping.......

...skipping.....

...so for those of you living near the areas being flooded, beware of snakes, alligators, bears, and wild boar that are being diplaced. And for swamp people who are also easily startled and just as dangerous.

Drawback #2-  I am supposed to be doing some cycling in a mountainous part of Virginia in July and there is nowhere to train for this down here. Sure there are some places about 45 minutes away that have "rolling hills", but these are what the British announcer that calls the Tour de France refers to as "tickles" as they are certainly not real "hills'.

I am trying to find ways to simulate hills but my options are limited. There are certainly no natural features and I really dislike riding on a trainer. A few months ago I found a perfect 10 story parking garage to climb but you never know when the security guard is gonna be there to kick you out, and I try not to be a trouble maker.

So, if you have any ideas or suggestions for a flatlander like me, feel free to share.

4 comments:

  1. I am beginning to notice a pattern - you don't blog when school is out. Where are the stories of what we've been doing lately?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking you need to get yourself to Austin and train on the weekends on 'dem 'dere hills. I say what's good for Lance Armstrong might possibly be good for Mr. Scott! Not sure if you have friends down that way, but I'm sure you are bound to know someone. Plus, you get to eat THE BEST Tex-Mex. Lord, I really need some good Mexican food these days...

    Loved this post...and you DO have to watch out for the scary banjo swamp people! Hope you are well! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you're back to school. Time to get back to bloggin'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Robin Hood! Where is the new blog post?

    :-)

    ReplyDelete