Tuesday, March 22, 2011

So Aggravated

I love being a teacher. but these kids are driving me nuts. I could give you a list of a hundred things I love about teaching and a hundred that aggitate me. But, I know you don't want to hear all that. I will just tell you about one thing. Today, my students, my little thugs geniuses, took the first part of their graduation exit exam. They can not graduate without passing this test. I had no idea as to what was going to be on the test (the state doesn't tell us any specifics) but I focused on a few key concepts from each unit and really "hammered" on those things as we went through the year. Since taking the test this morning several students have stopped by to tell me that they thought they did well and how "easy" the history questions were and to tell me that the rules I gave them for answering essay-like questions really helped. "It was the exact stuff that you said would probably be on there". Well, I'm glad someone was listening because for everyone that said that, there was another who swore we never talked about "that" stuff.

My reply to that was: "You are correct. WE never talked that stuff. I talked about it while YOU did everything else that YOU could possibly find to do other than pay attention to what WE were talking about".

On the brightside, repeaters make it a lot easier to learn the names of my students at the beginning of each year.

1 comment:

  1. Love the new pic at the top. I didn't realize you were a teacher...tough stuff. I am sure you are doing a great job!!! I know what you mean- it is so frustrating when you give the tools, but someone chooses not to use them.

    ReplyDelete